The Intellectual Property Office (formerly known as the UK Patent Office) is the official government body that is responsible for the Intellectual Property rights in the UK and is an executive agency of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A PATENT TO THE PATENT OFFICE, HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT ASK YOURSELF:-
- Have you kept your idea secret?
- Is my idea novel?
- Is your product sufficiently developed, designed or prototyped?
- Does it look still potentially patent-able or commercially viable?
FILING A PATENT APPLICATION CAN BE A DAUNTING TASK. YOU CAN PREPARE A PATENT SPECIFICATION YOURSELF, BUT IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF PATENT LAW AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ISSUES, THEN YOU MAY WANT TO USE A PROFESSIONAL.
For more information on how to patent an idea request our Free Patent info pack
What is the UK patents application Procedure?
- Apply for a patent – filing receipt issued giving filing date and application number.
- Within 12 months you need to file claims
- 18 months from the application – Publication of application & search report
- 24 months from the application – Request examination and pay the fee
- Around 1 year after the request of the examination, the report is issued.
- Patents can take up to 4 and half years from the start of the process to be granted
For more information on how to apply to the Patent office visit : https://www.innovate-design.co.uk/patent-application/